The role of an NCT Birth Companion is very similar to the role of a doula, but will concentrate on the period around the birth. She is there to offer physical and emotional support to you (and your partner) during labour and for your birth. The role is not medical but is a continuous, reassuring presence.
I was part of the first cohort of NCT Birth Companions, trained at the University of Worcester:
I am currently the only NCT Breastfeeding Counsellor trained in this role and I qualified in November 2010.
NCT Birth Companion Service Available in Your Area
Your birth experience can be very affected by the support you receive during labour. NCT Birth Companions is a new service which aims to ensure that women and their partners receive the physical and emotional support they need during labour and birth.
Your NCT Birth Companion will:
- Meet with you three times before the birth.
- Help you to put together a support plan to specify what you want for your birth.
- Support you with active birth skills such as positions, massage and breathing and relaxation techniques.
- Stay with you throughout your labour and birth, including liasising with medical staff to allow you to focus on your own needs.
- Meet with you again after the birth to discuss how things went.
Your NCT Birth Companion can support you whether you choose a hospital, birth centre or home birth.
Find Out More
if you would like to discuss this service further, or book a place, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 0844 2436884.